Imagine you have set up the perfect network in your home or office allowing everyone to listen to your music, view photos, exchange files and even watch film across machines.
If you take your Mac elsewhere, it's an absolute pain to have to set this all up again. ShareTool aims to prevent this problem by allowing you to restore all of your network settings in a few clicks. It lets you access all of the Bonjour services on your home network from anywhere in the World, meaning you need never leave home without your files again. This is especially useful if you're in an office that doesn't allow many outbound connections - ShareTool can help you get around restrictive policies to access all of your data at home.
It's also very user friendly. Even if you're new to networking, ShareTool takes you through the setup process step by step. Normally you'd probably have to have SSH or VPN expertise to setup something like ShareTool provides so it's a lot less hassle.
Be warned though, that if the computer or server you are connecting to shuts down or crashes, there's no way to restart it with ShareTool, which renders it a bit useless in such situations. For your security, ShareTool also issues an email to you whenever a remote connection is established but some users have noted this is useful since it only provides the internal IP address of the user which for dynamic IPs, is going to make it very hard to find out who it is.
Overall though, ShareTool is widely praised for its speed of connections, ease of use and labour saving benefits.
- New: Automatic support for routers that require matching port numbers.
- New: HTTPS port is now mapped by default for improved reliability.
- New: You can now tell ShareTool to ignore system proxy settings.
- * New: Improved support for Windows File Sharing services.
- * Fixed: ShareTool is more aggressive about keeping connections active.
- * Fixed: VPN mode is optional when connecting to a public IP address.
- * Other: Various other bug fixes and tweaks.
- * Updated: The demo period has been reset for all users.